Environmental Carcinogenesis Lab
Associate ProfessorSeung Joon Baek, Ph.D.
The University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine
Department of Pathobiology
2407 River Drive (Rm A228)
Knoxville, TN 37996
Lab: 865-974-2310, 1884, 5875
- Ph.D in Human Genetics. University of Maryland, School of Medicine, Division of Human Genetics, Baltimore, MD, U.S.A. 1998.
- M.S. in Agricultural Chemistry.Seoul National University, Korea, 1991
- B.S. in Agricultural Chemistry Seoul National University, Korea, 1989.
- 2008-Present Associate Professor, University of Tennessee, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Pathobiology, Knoxville, TN
- 2003 -2008 Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Pathobiology, Knoxville, TN
- 2002-2003 Research Fellow, NIEHS, NIH
- 1998-2002 IRTA Fellowship, NIEHS, NIH
- 2007 Pfizer Animal Health Award for Excellence in Research. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN.
- 2007 Chancellor's Award in Professional Promise in Research and Creative Achievement Award. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN.
- 2006 Wharton Professionship Award. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN.
- 2006 Mentor of Nichelle Whitlock, Ronal McNair Post Baccalaureate Achievement Program. The University of Tennessee, Knoxville TN
- 2003 AACR-AFLAC Scholar-in-Training Award, La Jolla, CA
- 2002 FARE 2003 award, NIEHS, NIH
- 2000 FARE 2001 award, NIEHS, NIH
- 1995 Best Poster Award, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- 1992-1998 Graduate Research Assistantship, Division of Human Genetics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland
- 2003-2006 (PI: Baek SJ) NIH/NIEHS K22 ES011657 $ 324,000 Transcription Regulation and biological function of NAG-1
- 2005-2007 (PI: Baek SJ) NIH/NCI R21CA109423 $ 342,452
Anti-cancer effects by the green tea catechins
- 2006-2011 (PI: Baek SJ) NIH/NCI RO1CA108975 $1,029,500
PPARgamma ligands in colorectal cancer
- 2006-2009 (PI: Baek SJ) American Cancer Society CNE-111611 $ 522,000 Gene alterations by NSAIDs
- DHHS Reference No. E-170-00/0 filed 08 Sep 2000: Eling TE, and Baek SJ. A Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug Related Gene Which Has Anti-Tumorigenic Properties
- CEM609 Mechanism of Disease
- CEM612 Journal Club in Pathobiology
Membership in Scientific Societies:
- American Association of Cancer Research
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Articles in the Newspapers
- Knoxville News Sentinel, May 29, 2006, “UT researcher seeks powers within plants, pain pills.”