Histopathologic descriptions and interpretations of biopsies submitted by referring veterinarians are typically reported 72 hours after submission.
Please fully complete biopsy request form, including signature of referring veterinarian.
Explanation and Guidelines
- The single fee includes routine H&E and "special stain(s)" histochemistry, margin evaluation if requested and decalcification of bone of tissues submitted as a single case. Includes "necropsy in a bottle".
- Results will be by an automated fax, usually within 72 hours (possible delay over 72 hours would include special stains and/or consult with other pathologists regarding biopsy case). Please notify us with any changes regarding your fax number. If fax is not available, results will be sent via U.S. Postal Service or Emailed (please provide your Email address)
- Please be aware that decalcification of cortical/compact bone, particularly digits and jaws with teeth, can take an extended period of time (up to 2 weeks or more in some cases)
- In you are interested in having excisional margins assessed, we recommend:
- Painting the excisional margins with surgical marking dye prior to fixation
- Partial transection from the skin side 3/4 depth toward the deep margin in large skin samples
(>3 cm diameter)
- Identifying at least one margin direction (e.g. cranial, caudal, right or left lateral) by suture placement
Slide Consultation Service
Slide Consultation Service is offered for those cases in which the clinician wishes a second opinion. We recommend submission of 6 unstained slides supplied from the original pathology service. This can be done with or without the original diagnosis; however, patient signalment and history are necessary. These cases are always reviewed by multiple in-house board-certified pathologists.
Immunohistochemistry service is offered for those cases in which the clinician may need more specific characterization of a lesion than is available by routine staining. This service is typically recommended by the pathologist. The stains are done in-house or forwarded to other specialty laboratories. The typical cost of these procedures is $45 for each antibody used.
Charges for staining done at other laboratories may differ.