Jack W. Oliver, BS, MS, DVM, Ph.D.
Department of Comparative Medicine
College of Veterinary Medicine
The University of Tennessee
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996
College of Veterinary Medicine
The University of Tennessee
2407 River Drive
Knoxville, TN 37996
Phone: (865) 974-5729
FAX: (865) 974-5640
- 1960 B.S. Purdue University - Animal Science
- 1963 M.S. Purdue University - Animal Science
- 1966 D.V.M. Purdue University - Veterinary Medicine
- 1969 Ph.D. Purdure University - Veterinary Physiology
- 1981-Present Professor of Veterinary Pharmacology, The University of Tennessee
- 1975-1981 Assoc. Prof. of Veterinary Pharmacology, The University of Tennessee
- 1972-1975 Assistant Professor of Veterinary Pharmacology, The Ohio State University
- 1971-1972 Mixed Veterinary Practice, Salem, Indiana
- 1970-1971 Asst. Prof. of Vet. Pharm. and Endocrinology, Texas A&M University
- 1969-1970 Assistant Professor of Veterinary Pharmacology, Purdue University
- 1967-1969 Postdoctoral Research Fellow (NIH), Purdue University
- Pursuit of in vivo and in vitro studies concerning understanding the pathogenesis of Neotyphodium coenophialum infested tall fescue, and the associated toxicosis syndromes in cattle and horses. Understanding the pathogenesis of this widespread disorder in herbivores will allow effective control and/or management procedures to be developed.
- Pursuit of clinical research with practitioners across the United States to better understand the pathogenesis of adrenal disorders in domestic animals, and to develop effective prophylactic measures.
- Pursuit of clinical research with avian practitioners across the United States to better understand the pathogenesis of endocrine-related disorders in avian species.
- American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)
- Tennessee Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA)
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET)
- American Society of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology (ASVPP)
- American Academy of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics (AAVPT)
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Disease - CRWAD
- Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges
- Lindsey Young Professor of Veterinary Medicine - The University of Tennessee - 1980-81
- Amon Carter Evans Research Scholar/The University of Tennessee - 1983
- Gamma Sigma Delta, Phi Zeta, Sigma Xi
- Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents, AVMA (1991-1997)
- Outstanding Faculty Award, TVMA, 1995
- Plenary Speaker, Tall Fescue Toxicosis, Third International Symposium on Acremonium/Grass Interaction, Athens, GA, 1997
- Plenary speaker, Pathophysiologic Response to Endophyte Toxins, Fifth International Symposium on Neotyphodium/Grass Interaction, Fayetteville, AK, 2005.
- Member, United States Pharmacopeia (1996-2000). Liaison person for AVMA.
- Solomons, Richard N., Jack W. Oliver and Robert D. Linnabary. Bovine dorsal pedalvein reactivity to ed ergot alkaloids. Am. J. Vet. Res.,50:235-238, 1989.
- Oliver, J.W.,L.K. Abney, J.R. Strickland and R.D. Linnabary. Vasoconstriction in bovine vasculature induced by the tall fescue alkaloid lysergamide. J. Anim. Science, 71: 2708-2713, 1993.
- Strickland, J.R., J.W. Oliver and D.L. Cross. Fescue toxicosis and its impacton animal agriculture. Vet. Human Toxicol., 35: 454-464, 1993.
- Abney, L.K., C.R. Reinemeyer and J.W. Oliver. Vasoconstrictive effects of tall fescue alkaloids on equine vasculature. J. Equine Vet. Sci., 13:334-340, 1993.
- "Development of an Anti-Fescue Toxicosis Vaccine." Brad D. Reddick, Kimberly D. Gwinnand Jack W. Oliver. Patent issued by the U.S. Patent Officeon 11-21-95 (U.S. Patent No. 5,468,486).
- Strickland, J.R., E. M. Bailey, L.K. Abney and J.W. Oliver. Assessment of themitogenic potential of the alkaloids produced by endophyte (Acremonium coenophialum) infected tall fescue (Festucaarundinacea) on bovine vascular smooth muscle in vitro. J. Anim.Sci., 74:1664-1671, 1996.
- Jack W. Oliverand A. Eric Schultze. Histologic lesions in cattle fed toxic tall fescue. The Toxicologist, 36:46, 1997.
- Oliver, Jack W. Physiological Manifestations of Endophyte Toxicosis in Ruminant and Laboratory Species. In: Bacon, C.W. and Hill, N.S. (Eds). Neotyphodium/Grass Interactions. Plenum Press, New York, NY pp. 311-346, 1997.
- Oliver, Jack W., J.R. Strickland, JC. Waller, H.A. Fribourg, R.D. Linnabary and L. Kim Abney. Endophytic fungal toxin effect on adrenergic receptors in bovine lateral saphenous veins (cranial branch) of cattle grazing tall fescue. J. Anim. Sci.,76:2853-2856, 1998.
- Schultze, A.E., B.W. Rohrbach, H.A. Fribourg, J.C. Waller and J.W. Oliver. Alterations in bovine serum biochemistry profiles associated with prolonged consumption of endophyte-infected tall fescue. Vet. Hum.Tox., 41:133-139, 1999.
- Oliver, Jack W., A. Eric Schultze, Barton W. Rohrbach, Henry A. Fribourg, Teri Ingle and John C. Waller. Alterations in hemograms and serum biochemical analytes of steers after prolonged consumption of endophyte-infected tall fescue. J. Anim. Sci.,78:1029-1035, 2000.
- Oliver, Jack W., John Waller, Henry Fribourg, Kim Gwinn, Marilyn Cottrell and Sherry Cox. Aminoacidemia in cattle grazed onendophyte-infected tall fescue. Proceedings 4th International Neotyphodium/Grass Interactions Symposium. Soest, Germany.September 27-29, 2000.
- Oliver, J.W., H. Al-Tamimi, J.C. Waller, H.A. Fribourg, K.D. Gwinn, L.K. Abney, and R.D. Linnabary. Effect of chronic exposure of beef steers to the endophytic fungus of tall fescue: Comparative effects of nitric oxide synthase activity and nitrate/nitrite levels in lateral saphenous veins. Proceedings Tall Fescue Toxicosis Workshop, SERAIEG-8. Chapel Hill, TN. Nov. 5-6, 2001. pp. 55-56.
- Oliver, J.W., S.K. Cox, J.C. Waller, H.A. Fribourg, K.D. Gwinn, B.W. Rohrbach and R.D. Linnabary. Effect of chronic exposure of beef steers to the endophytic fungus of tall fescue: Comparative effects on serumarginine levels. Proceedings Tall Fescue Toxicosis Workshop, SERAIEG-8. Chapel Hill, TN. Nov. 5-6, 2001. pp. 56.
- Schuenemann, G.M., J.L. Edwards, F.M. Hopkins, N.R. Rohrbach, H.S. Adair, F.N. Scenna, J.C. Waller, J.W. Oliver, A.M.Saxton and F.N. Schrick. Fertility aspects in yearling beef bulls grazing endophyte-infected tall fescue pastures. Reprod., Fertil. and Develop., 17:479-486, 2005
- Oliver, Jack W. Pathophysiologic response to endophyte toxins. In: C.A. Roberts, C.P. West and D.E. Spiers (ED). Neotyphodium in Cool-Season Grasses. Pp. 291-304. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, Iowa.
- Eiler, H., Jack W.Oliver and D. Goble. Adrenal gland function in the horse: Combined dexamethasone suppression/cosyntropin stimulation test (CDC Test). Am J Vet Res, 41:430-434, 1980.
- Eiler, H. and Jack W.Oliver. Combined dexamethasone suppression and cosyntropin (synthetic ACTH) stimulation test in the dog: New approach to testing of adrenal gland function. Am. J. Vet. Res., 41:1243-1246,1980.
- Oliver, Jack W.and Waldrop, V. Thyrotropin (TSH) Stimulation Test in the Dog. JAVMA, 183:486-489, 1983.
- Held, J.P., Dr. Med.Vet., FVH and Oliver, J.W. A sampling protocol for thethyrotropin-stimulation test in the horse. JAVMA, 184:326-327,1984.
- Lothrop, C.D., Jr. and J.W. Oliver. Diagnosis of canine Cushing's Syndrome based on multiple steroid analysis and dexamethasone turnover kinetics. Am. J. Vet. Res, 45:2304-2309, 1984.
- Eiler, H., J.W.Oliver and A.M. Legendre: Response of hyperadrenocorticoid dogs to the combined dexamethasone-suppression/ACTH-Stimulation test; Are there different stages of the disease? JAVMA, 185:289-294,1984.
- Oliver, Jack W. and J.P. Held: Thyrotropin stimulation test-new perspective on value of monitoring triiodothyronine. JAVMA, 187:931-934, 1985.
- Orosz, S.E., J.W.Oliver and E.C. Schroeder. TRH stimulation test for the evaluation of thyroid function in Amazon parrots. Proc., The 4th Conference of the European Committee of the Association of Avian Veterinarians. London, England. May 19-24, 1997.
- Eiler, H., Jack W.Oliver, Frank M. Andrews, Kellie A. Fecteau, Eleanor M. Greenand Malcolm McCracken. Results of a combined dexamethasone suppression/thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation test in healthy horses and horses suspected to have a pars intermediapituitary adenoma. JAVMA, 211:79-81, 1997.
- Frank, Linda A. and Jack W. Oliver. Comparison of serum cortisol concentrations in clinically normal dogs after administration of freshly reconstituted versus reconstituted and stored frozen cosyntropin. JAVMA, 212:1569-1571, 1998.
- Ashley, P.F., L.A.Frank, L.P. Schmeitzel, E.M. Bailey and J.W. Oliver. Effect of oral melatonin administration on sex hormone, prolactin, and thyroid hormone concentrations in adult dogs. JAVMA, 215:1111-1115, 1999.
- Frank, L.A., R.C. DeNovo, A.C. Kraje and J.W. Oliver. Cortisol concentrations following stimulation of healthy and adrenopathic dogs with two doses of tetracosactrin. J. Sm. Anim. Pract., 41:308-311, 2000.
Rossmeisl, J.H., Jr., J.C.R. Scott-Moncrieff, J. Siems, P.W. Snyder, A. Wells,
L. Anothayanontha and J.W. Oliver. Hyperadrenocorticism and hyperprogesteronemia in a cat with an adrenocortical adenocarcinoma. J. Am. Anim. Hosp. Assoc., 36:512-517, 2000.
- Heatley, J.J., J.W.Oliver, G. Hosgood, S. Columbini and T.N. Tully. Serum corticosterone concentrations in response to restraint, anesthesia, and skin testing in Hispaniolan Amazon parrots (Amazona ventralis). J. Avian Med. Surg., 14:172-176, 2000.
- Frank, Linda A., Lynn P.Schmeitzel and Jack W. Oliver. Steroidogenic response of adrenal tissues after administration of ACTH to dogs with hypercortisolemia. JAVMA, 218:214-216, 2001.
- Wagner, R.A., E.M. Bailey, J.F. Schneider, and J.W. Oliver. Leuprolide acetate treatment of adreno cortical disease in ferrets. JAVMA,218:1272-1274, 2001.
- Syme, H.M., J.C.R. Scott-Moncrieff, N.G. Treadwell, M.F. Thompson, P.W. Snyder, M.R.White and J.W. Oliver. Hyperadreno corticism due to excessive sex hormone production by an adrenocortical tumor in two dogs. JAVMA, 219:1725-1728, 2001.
- Frank, L.A., B.W. Rohrbach, E.M. Bailey, J.R. West, and J.W. Oliver. Steroid hormone concentration profiles in healthy intact and neutered dogs before and after cosyntropin administration. Dom. Anim. Endocrinol., 24:43-57, 2002.
- Oliver, Jack W. Diagnostic laboratory insight with regard to adrenal disease. Proceedings 20th Annual Veterinary Medical Forum (ACVIM). Dallas,TX, May 29-June 1, 2002. pp. 541-543.
- Frank, L.A., K.A. Hnilica, B.W. Rohrbach and J.W. Oliver. Retrospective evaluation of sex hormones and steroid hormone intermediates in dogs with alopecia. Vet. Dermatol., 14:91-97, 2003.
- Hill, K.E., J.C.R. Scott-Moncrieff, M. Koshko, L. Glickman, N. Glickman, R.W. Nelson, J.W. Oliver and W.E. Blevins. Secretion of sex hormones in dogs with adrenal dysfunction. Proceedings 21st Ann. ACVIM Forum, Abst. #60, pg. 946, Charlotte, NC, 2003.
- Carter, R.T., E.Bentley, J.W. Oliver and I.P. Herring. Canine sudden acquired retinal degeneration syndrome (SARDS) and associated elevations in adrenal sex hormone production. Proc. Am. Coll. Vet. Ophthal., Coeur D’Alene, Idaho, Oct. 22-25, 2003.
- Frank, L.A., K.A. Hnilica and J.W. Oliver. Steroid hormone intermediates in dogs with hair cycle arrest (Alopecia X) before and after treatment with melatonin. Vet. Dermatol., 15:278-284, 2004.
- Frank, L.A., J.A. Davis and J.W. Oliver. Cortisol and adrenal sex hormone and steroid hormone intermediate concentrations in healthy dogs following stimulation with two doses of cosyntropin. Am.J.Vet.Res., 65:1631-1633, 2004.
- Cerundolo, R., E.Mauldin, M. Goldschmidt, S. Lombardi, K. Resfsal and J. W.Oliver. Adult-onset hair loss in Chesapeake Bay Retrievers: A clinical and histological study. Vet. Dermatol., 16:39-46, 2005.
- Hill, K.E., J.C.R. Scott-Moncrieff, M. Koshko, L. Glickman, N. Glickman, R.W. Nelson, J.W. Oliver and W.E. Blevins. Secretion of sex hormones in dogs with adrenal dysfunction. J.Am.Vet.Med.Assoc., 226:556-561, 2005.
- Wagner, R.A., C.A. Piche, W. Jochle and J.W. Oliver. Clinical observations and endocrine response to treatment of adrenal cortical disease in ferrets with GnRH (deslorelin acetate) implants. Am. J. Vet. Res., 66:910-914, 2005.
- Eiler, Hugo, NicholasFrank, Frank M. Andrews, Jack W. Oliver and Kellie A.Fecteau. Physiologic assessment of blood glucose homeostasis via combined intravenous glucose and insulin testing in horses. Am.J. Vet. Res., 66: 1598-1604, 2005.
- Oliver, Jack W. Hormone disorders and treatment. Proceedings Rhode Island Veterinary Medical Association Meeting, Newport, RI, Dec. 6, 2006.
- Oliver, Jack W. Diagnostic approach and therapeutic principles Adrenal disease in companion animals. Invited lectures. Facolta di Medicina Veterinaria di Teramo, Italy. June 26, 2006.
- Oliver, Jack W. Steroid profiles in the diagnosis of canine adrenal disorders. Proceedings 25th Annual Veterinary Medical Forum (ACVIM). Seattle, WA, June 6-9, 2007. Pp.471-473.