Precautions Against West Nile Virus
November 1, 2001
- Drain standing water and unblock drainage ditches.
- Empty, scrub and refill water troughs often.
- Remove debris that holds water, especially tires.
- Treat small ponds with mosquito larvacide.
- Stock larger ponds with larva-eating fish.
- Spray insecticide in areas surrounding barns.
- Empty unused water buckets.
- Install electronic bug zappers or mosquito traps.
- Cover windows and doors with fine mesh.
- Install foggers containing chemical or natural insecticide.
- Use fans to produce air turbulence to block mosquitoes' flight.
- Vaccinate horses against West Nile virus.
- Keep horses inside during peak mosquito feeding times - dusk and dawn.
- Spray horses with repellent, or use repellent collars or halter tags.
- Cover horses with fly sheets prayed with repellent.
- Top-dress feed with granulated garlic and brewers' yeast as a natural mosquito repellent.
UT College of Veterinary Medicine