Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee

The College of Veterinary Medicine

Frequently Used Tools:

Animal Health

Who should I contact for an animal related emergency?

Normal business hours (8am - 5pm, M-F):

Contact your facility manager. If the manager is unavailable, call OLAC at 4-5634.

After hours, weekends and holidays:

Contact the veterinarian on call. An emergency veterinary call list is posted in each facility. You may also call OLAC at 4-5634 for recorded on call information.

Who should I contact for an animal health problem?

During normal business hours, contact your facility manager. The facility manager will initiate a clinical case request to be forwarded to OLAC. For after hours, weekend and holiday emergencies, you should contact the veterinarian on call or call OLAC at 4-5634 for recorded on call information.

What is the rodent disease status for animal facilities on campus?

Contact OLAC at 4-5634 for information regarding current health status of rodent colonies.

Are laboratory and pathology services offered?

In-house laboratory services are available through the College of Veterinary Medicine; available services include clinical pathology, parasitology, endocrinology, histology, necropsy, and microbiology.

Rodent viral serology, PCR testing, and genetic monitoring are available through commercial laboratories. Contact OLAC at 4-5634 to arrange these services.

Information for Investigators

What approvals are required before using animals at the University of Tennessee?

You must submit an UTK-IACUC Protocol Form for Use of Live Vertebrates. Once the IACUC makes a decision regarding the disposition of your protocol, you will receive written notification. Written notification of IACUC approval is required before live vertebrate work can begin. Contact the UTK-IACUC office at 4-3631 or see for further information.

I need information about UTK's animal care and use program to include in a grant.

  • The animal care and use program at the University of Tennessee is accredited by the Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International (AAALAC, International)
  • The University's Public Health Service Assurance number is A3668-01.
  • The University's USDA registration number is 63-R-0105

How do I obtain access to an animal facility?

Entrance to all animal facilities is controlled by key and/or card access. Contact your facility manager for information regarding facility authorization.

Who do I contact regarding the Occupational Health Program for animal users?

All personnel having contact with research and teaching animals must be knowledgeable of the University's Occupational Health Program. Contact the occupational health nurse at 4-5728 or for additional information.

Who do I contact regarding use of hazardous materials in animal research protocols?

  • For biological hazards, contact the Biosafety Office at 4-3466.
  • For radiation hazards, contact the Radiation Safety Office at 4-5580
  • For chemical hazards, contact the Chemical Safety Office at 4-1153 (Ag campus) or 4-5084 (Main campus)

What training is offered by OLAC?

Veterinary and technical consultation and assistance, on an individual or group basis, can be arranged by calling OLAC at 4-5634. In addition, OLAC offers biweekly training sessions on animal welfare, husbandry, and research topics for animal health technicians. Animal handling and restraint and experimental methodology laboratories are held periodically.

The University has subscribed to the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Learning Library. The AALAS Learning Library provides training appropriate for all individuals working with research animals. Emphasizing appropriate handling, care, and use of animals, the courses are designed to help you prepare for AALAS certification, meet training mandates of regulatory agencies, and improve your technical knowledge in technical areas. The UTK IACUC mandated training is also housed on this site. Please see the IACUC website for login instructions.

How do I order animals?

All acquisition, procurement, or movement of non-agricultural research animals to or from the University of Tennessee animal facilities or laboratories must be specifically approved by the IACUC via an approved protocol, and the Attending Veterinarian or his/her designee.

See the UT OLAC policy on Animal Procurement

  • Rodents/rabbits from approved vendor sources
    To initiate a request for animals, contact the facility manager where your animals will be housed. The facility manager will provide you with the necessary animal requisition form. Facility managers may order animals from approved vendors without prior approval from OLAC. Approved rodent/rabbit vendors include: Charles River Laboratories, NCI Frederick, Jackson Labs, Harlan and Taconic.
  • Rodents from non-approved vendors or inter-institutional transfers
    Receipt of rodents from non-approved sources must be approved in advance by OLAC. Because a number of factors may delay shipment and/or use of such animals, requests should made well in advance of intended use.
    • The principal investigator must complete and submit an animal requisition form to the facility manager where animals will be housed.
    • The facility manager along with the principal investigator must complete appropriate sections of the Rodent History Questionnaire and the Quarantine Procedure Form forms.
    • The completed Rodent History Questionnaire and Rodent Quarantine Procedures forms must be submitted to Jane Czarra at or FAX to 4-5649.
    • OLAC will contact the institution or vendor of origin to request completion of the Rodent History Questionnaire and submission of monitoring reports.
    • After receipt and review of completed documents and recent health monitoring reports, OLAC veterinarians will make a decision regarding importation. If permission is granted, an OLAC veterinarian will specify the duration and intensity of quarantine procedures.
  • Procurement of dogs and cats
    Contact the facility manager where animals will be housed.

How do I transfer animals from one protocol to another?

Transfer of research animals between IACUC protocols must be specifically approved in advance by the IACUC and the Attending Veterinarian or his/her designee. To facilitate the approval process and to maintain appropriate records, an animal transfer request must be submitted to the facility manager who will verify the species, strain, and number of animals against the approved IACUC protocols. The Attending Veterinarian or his/her designee will review the animal transfer form and necessary medical records before granting transfer approval. The signature of the attending Veterinarian or his/her designee is required prior to initiating an animal transfer.

Download the animal transfer form

How do I transfer animals to another institution?

Upon request, OLAC will provide the necessary health reports and facility information to the receiving institution. The receiving institution should fax information requests to OLAC at 865-974-5649 or submit electronically to

How do I move animals from the animal facility to my laboratory?

All animal movement must adhere to the following principles:

  1. Movement of animals must have IACUC approval via a protocol describing the transport and designation of the destination as a study or satellite area.
  2. Completely cover the transport container to inconspicuously conceal the animals during transit.

How do I obtain controlled substances for research purposes?

If you are not a licensed veterinarian or medical doctor, you must obtain a State of Tennessee pharmacy license. Information on obtaining a pharmacy license can be found at You must also obtain and DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) license. Contact the UTK Office of Research at 4-3466 for information on obtaining a DEA license.

How do I report a perceived case of animal abuse?

If you observe or have knowledge of activities that you believe constitute inappropriate animal care and use, you are encouraged to report these activities so that they can be investigated.

  • Concerns or complaints regarding animal usage within UTK should be brought directly to the attention of the people involved whenever possible.
  • If the concern or complaint cannot be handled directly, or if an individual wishes to report anonymously, it may be handled one of two ways:
    • If an emergency situation exists, the University Attending Veterinarian or designee should be contacted immediately. Call 974-5634. After hours, voice mail will give emergency contact information. Contact the Laboratory Animal Veterinarian. In addition, emergency contact information is posted in each animal facility. The University Laboratory Animal Veterinarian will take any necessary immediate action.
    • If the situation is not an emergency, the concern or compliant should be submitted to the Chair of the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. The Committee Chairman will assign an ad hoc investigative committee to investigate the concern and prepare a report for the IACUC. The IACUC will review the concern or complaint, determine what action will be taken, and notify the principal investigator of such action.

As per federal regulations, no individual will be discriminated against, or be subject to any reprisal, for reporting noncompliance.

Dog Bite Prevention Knox Cattlemen UT Veterinary MRI