Environmental Carcinogenesis Lab
- Whitlock N, Bahn JH, Lee SH, Eling TE, and Baek SJ (2011) Resveratrol-induced apoptosis is mediated by Early Growth Response-1, Krüppel-Like Factor 4, and Activating Transcription Factor 3. Cancer Pre Res. Jan 4 (1):116-127. PMID: 21205742
- Krisanapun C, Lee SH, Peungvicha P, Temsiririrkkul R, and Baek SJ (2011) Antidiabetic properties involved in insulin sensitivity of Abutilon indicum Sweet are mediated by enhancement of adipocyte differentiation and activation of GLUT1 promoter. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. Feb 2011 article ID 167684.
- Baek SJ and Whitlock NC (2011) Molecular Targets of Resveratrol in Carcinogenesis. Evidence-Based Anticancer Herbal Medicine. Edited by WCS Cho. Springer Science; pp 319-347.
- Flat B, Fry MM, Baek SJ, Bahn JH, LeBlanc CJ, Dunlap JR, Carroll RC, Kosiba DJ, Millsaps DJ, and Schleis SE. (2011) May-Hegglin Anomaly in a Dog. Vet. Clin. Patho. In Press.
- Close D, Patterson S, Ripp S, Baek SJ, Sanseverino J, Sayler G (2011) Comparison Of Human Optimized Bacterial Luciferase, Firefly Luciferase, And Green Florescent Protein For Continuous Imaging Of Cell Cultures And mouse Models. Journal of Biomedical Optics. In Press.
- Lee SH, Richardson RL, Dashwood RH, and Baek SJ (2011) Capsaicin represses transcriptional activity of ß-catenin in human colorectal cancer cells. J Nutr Biochem. In Press.
- Margraves CH, Kihm KD, Yoon SY, Choi CK, Lee SH, Liggett JL, Baek SJ. (2011) Simultaneous Measurements of Cytoplasmic Viscosity and Intracellular Vesicle Sizes for Live Human Brain Cancer Cells. Biotechnology & bioengineering. In Press.
- Nualsanit T, Rojanapanthu P, Gritsanapan W, Lee SH, Lawson DB and Baek SJ (2011) Damnacanthal, a Noni component, exhibits anti-tumorigenic activity in human colorectal cancer cells. J Nutr Biochem. In Press.
- Rojsanga P, Sukthankar M, Krisanapun C, Gritsanapan W, Lawson DB, and Baek SJ. (2010) In vitro Anti-proliferative Activity of Alcoholic Stem Extract of Coscinium fenestratum in human colorectal cancer cells. Exp. Therapeu Med. Jan-Feb 1(1): 181-186.
- Choi CK, Sukhthankar M, Kim C, Lee SH, English A, Kihm KD, and Baek SJ (2010) Cell adhesion property affected by cyclooxygenase and lipoxygenase: Opto-electric approach. Biochem Biophys Res Commun Jan 391 (3):1385-1389. PMCID: PMC2814420
- Sukthankar M, Choi CK, English AE, Kim JS and Baek SJ (2010) A potential proliferative gene, NUDT6, is down-regulated by green tea catechins at the posttranscriptional level. J Nutr Biochem. Feb 21(2): 98-106. PMCID: PMC2840651
- Lee SH, Krisanapun C and Baek SJ (2010) NSAID-activated gene-1 as a molecular target for capsaicin-induced apoptosis through a novel molecular mechanism involving GSK3beta, C/EBPbeta and ATF3. Carcinogenesis. Apr 31(4):719-728. PMCID: PMC2847092
- Cekanova M, Lee SH, McEntee M, and Baek SJ (2010) MCC-555-induced NAG-1 expression is mediated in part by KLF4. Eur J Pharmacol. July 637(1-3):30-37. PMCID: PMC2878920
- Kim CH, Kwon S, Bahn JH, Lee K, Jun S, Rack PD, and Baek SJ (2010) Effects of atmospheric non-thermal plasma on invasion of colorectal cancer cells. App. Physics Letter. June 96(24):243701. PMID: 20628488
- Sukhthankar M, Alberti S, and Baek SJ (2010) (-)-Epigallocatechin-3-Gallate (EGCG) Post-transcriptionally and Post-translationally Suppresses the Cell Proliferative Protein Trop-2 in Human Colorectal Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res. July 30(7):2497-503. PMID: 20682974
- Close D, Patterson S, Ripp S, Baek SJ, Sanseverino J, Sayler G (2010) Autonomous Bioluminescent Expression of the Bacterial Luciferase Gene Cassette (lux) in a Mammalian Cell Line. PLoS ONE. Aug 5(8): e12441. PMCID: PMC2929204
- Kim HJ, Ryu JH, Kim CH, Lim JW, Moon UY, Lee GH, Lee JG, Baek SJ, Yoon JH (2010) ECG Suppresses Oxidative Stress-Induced MUC5AC Overexpression by Interaction with EGFR. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. Sep 43(3):349-357. PMID: 19855084
- Lee SH, Bahn JH, Whitlock NC, and Baek SJ (2010) Activating transcription factor 2 (ATF2) controls tolfenamic acid-induced ATF3 expression via MAP kinase pathways. Oncogene. Sep 29(37): 5182-5192. PMCID: PMC2940954
- Kim CH, Bahn JH, Lee SH, Kim GY, Jun SI, Lee KH and Baek SJ (2010) Induction of cell growth arrest by atmospheric nonthermal plasma in colorectal cancer cells. J Biotechnol. Dec 150(4): 530-538. PMID: 20959125.
- Zhong Y, Krisanapun C, Lee SH, Nualsanit T, Sams C, Peungvicha P, and Baek SJ (2010) Molecular targets of apigenin in colorectal cancer cells: Involvement of p21, NAG-1 and p53. Eur J Cancer. Dec 46(18): 3365-3374. PMCID: PMC2988105
- Choi HJ, Chung YS, Kim HJ, Moon UY, Choi YH, Van Seuningen I, Baek SJ, Yoon HG, and Yoon JH (2009) Signal Pathway of 17b-estradiol-induced MUC5B Expression in Human Airway Epithelial Cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. Feb 40(2):168-178.
- Fry MM, Kirk CA, Liggett JL, Daniel GB, Baek SJ, Gouffon JS, Chimakurthy PM, Rekapalli B. (2009) Changes in hepatic gene expression in dogs with experimentally-induced nutritional iron deficiency. Vet. Clin. Patho. Mar 38(1):13-19. PMID: 19228364
- Cekanova M, Lee SH, Sukhthankar M, Donnell R, Eling TE, Fischer SM, and Baek SJ (2009) Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug-Activated Gene-1 Expression Inhibits Urethane-Induced Pulmonary Tumorigenesis in Transgenic Mice. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). May 2(5):450-458. PMID: 19401523
- Baek SJ, McEntee MF, and Legendre A. (2009) Chemopreventive compounds and canine cancer. Vet Patho. Review. July 46:576-588. PMID: 19276067
- Iguchi G, Chrysovergis K, Lee SH, Baek SJ, Robert Langenbach, and Eling TE. (2009) A Reciprocal Relationship Exists Between Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug-Activated Gene-1 (NAG-1) and Cyclooxygenase-2. Can Lett. Sep 18;282(2):152-8. PMID: 19375854
- Peretich A, Cekanova M, Hurst S, Baek SJ, and Dhar M. (2009) PPAR agonists down-regulate the expression of Atp10c mRNA during adipogenesis. Open Obesity J. Nov 1:41-48.
- Kambe S, Yoshioka H, Kamitani H, Watanabe T, Baek SJ, and Eling TE. (2009) The Cyclooxygenase Inhibitor Sulindac Sulfide Inhibits EP4 Expression and Suppresses the Growth of Glioblastoma Cells. Cancer Prev Res (Phila Pa). Dec 2:1088-1099. PMID: 19934343
- Baek SJ, and Sukthanka M (2009) Green tea catechins in colorectal cancer. Handbook of Green tea and human health. Edited by H. Mckinley and M. Jamieson. Nova Science Publishers. pp 325-346.
- Yamaguchi K., Whitlock N, Liggett J, Legendre A, Fry M, and Baek SJ. (2008) Molecular Characterization of Canine Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug-activated Gene (NAG-1). Vet J. Jan. 175(1):89-95.
- Lee SH, Cekanova M, and Baek SJ. (2008) Multiple mechanisms are involved in 6-gingerol-induced cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human colorectal cancer cells. Mol Carcinog. Mar. 47(3):197-208.
- Cekanova M, Li X, Yuan J, Kim KB, and Baek SJ. (2008) Gene alteration by PPARgamma ligands. Int J Oncol. Apr. 32(4):809-819.
- Sukthanka M, Yamaguchi K, Lee SH, McEntee MF, Eling TE, Hara Y, and Baek SJ. (2008) A green tea component suppresses posttranslational expression of basic fibroblast growth factor in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology. June. 134(7):1972-1980.
- Kim HJ, Park SH, Park SY, Moon UY, Lee BD, Yoon SH, Lee JG, Baek SJ, Yoon JH. (2008) Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits interleukin-1beta-induced MUC5AC gene expression and MUC5AC secretion in normal human nasal epithelial cells. J Nutr Biochem. Aug 19(8):536-544.
- Yamaguchi K, Cekanova M, McEntee MF, Yoon JH, Fischer SM, Renes IB, Van Seungnigen I, and Baek SJ. (2008) Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ligand MCC-555 suppresses intestinal polyps in ApcMin/+ mice via extracellular signal-regulated kinase and peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-dependent pathways. Mol Cancer Ther. Sep 7(9): 2779-2787.
- Lee SH, Bahn JH, Choi CK, Whitlock NC, English AE, Safe S, and Baek SJ (2008) ESE-1/EGR-1 pathway plays a role in tolfenamic acid-induced apoptosis in colorectal cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. Dec 7(12): 3739-3750.
- Baek SJ, and Lee SH (2008) Anti-cancer property of epicatechin gallate in colon cancer cells. Encyclopaedic Handbook of Beer in Health and Disease Prevention. Edited by Victor R. Preedy. Elsevier. pp 871-878.
- Fernando R, Foster JS, Bible A, Strom A, Pestell RG, Rao M, Saxton A, Baek SJ , Yamaguchi K, Donnell R, Cekanova M, Wimalasena J (2007) Breast cancer cell proliferation is inhibited by BAD: Regulation of cyclin D1. J Biol Chem. Sep. 282(39):28864-28873.
- Cho KN, Sukthanka M, Lee SH, Yoon JH, and Baek SJ . (2007) ECG induces ATF3 expression in human colorectal cancer cells. Eur J Cancer . Nov. 43(16):2404-2412.
- Rojsanga P, Sukthanka M, Wandee G, and Baek SJ (2007) Berberine, a natural isoquinoline alkaloid, induces NAG-1 and ATF-3 expression in human colorectal cancer cells. Can Lett . Dec. 258(2):230-240.
- Yamaguchi K, Liggett JL, Kim NC, and Baek SJ (2006) Anti-proliferative effect of horehound leaf and wild cherry bark extracts on human colorectal cancer cells. Oncol Rep. Jan 15(1):275-281.
- Baek SJ, and Eling TE (2006) Changes in gene expression contribute to cancer prevention by COX inhibitors. Prog lipid Res. Jan. 45(1):1-16.
- Yamaguchi K, Lee SH, Kim JS, Wimalasena J, Kitajima S, and Baek SJ (2006) Activating transcription factor 3 and early growth response-1 are the novel targets of LY294002 in a PI3K independent manner. Cancer Res. Feb 66(4): 2376-2384.
- Wu WW, Wang G, Baek SJ, and Shen RF (2006) Comparative Study of Three Proteomic Quantitative Methods, DIGE, cICAT, and iTRAQ, Using 2D Gel- or LC-MALDI TOF/TOF. J Proteome Res. Mar 5(3):651-658.
- Lee SH, Yamaguchi K, Kim JS, Eling TE, Safe S, Park Y, and Baek SJ (2006) Conjugated linoleic acid stimulates NAG-1 expression by isomer specific manner. Carcinogenesis. May 27(5):972-981.
- Yamaguchi K, Lee SH, Eling TE, and Baek SJ. (2006) A novel peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor g ligand, MCC-555, induces apoptosis via posttranscriptional regulation of NAG-1 in colorectal cancer cells. Mol Cancer Ther. May 5(5):1352-1361.
- Lambert JR, Kelly JA, Shim M, Huffer WE, Nordeen, SK, Baek SJ, Eling TE, and Lucia SM. (2006) Prostate derived factor in human prostate cancer cells: Gene induction by vitamin D via a p53 dependent mechanism and inhibition of PCa cell growth. J Cell Physiol. Jun. 208(3):566-574.
- Martinez J, Sali T, Okazaki R, Hollingshead M, Hose C, Monks A, Baek SJ, Walker N, and Eling TE (2006) Drug induced up-regulation of NAG-1 attenuates tumor formation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. Aug 318(2):899-906.
- Baek SJ, Okazaki R, Lee SH, Martinez J, Kim JS, Yamaguchi K, Mishina Y, Martin D, Shoieb A, McEntee M, and Eling TE (2006) NAG-1/MIC-1/GDF-15 Over-Expression in Transgenic Mice Suppresses Colorectal Neoplasia. Gastroenterology. In Press.
- Eling TE, Baek SJ , Shim M, and Lee CH. (2006) NSAID activated gene (NAG-1), a modulator of tumorigenesis. J Biochem Mol Biol. Nov. 39(6):649-655.
- lim YC, Lee SH, Song MH, Yamaguchi K, Yoon JH, Choi EC, and Baek SJ (2006) Growth inhibition and apoptosis by (-)-epicatechin gallate are mediated by cyclin D1 suppression in head and neck squamous carcinoma cells. Eur J Cancer. In Press.
- Baek SJ, Kim JS, Moore SM, Lee SH, Martinez J, and Eling TE. (2005) Cyclooxygenase inhibitors induce the expression of the tumor suppressor gene EGR-1, which results in the up-regulation of NAG-1, an anti-tumorigenic protein. Mol Pharmacol. Feb. 67(2): 356-364.
- Cho KN, Choi JY, Kim CH, Baek SJ, Chung KC, Moon UY, Kim KS, Lee WJ, Koo JS, and Yoon JH (2005) Prostaglandin E2 Induces MUC8 Gene Expression via a Mechanism Involving ERK MAPK/RSK1/CREB Activation in Human Airway Epithelial Cells. J Biol Chem. Feb 280(8): 6676-6681
- Lee SH, Kim JS, Yamaguchi K, Eling TE, and Baek SJ (2005) Indole-3-carbinol and 3,3'-diindolylmethane induce expression of NAG-1 in a p53-independnet manner. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. Mar. 328(1):63-69.
- Kim JS, Baek SJ, Sali T, and Eling TE (2005) The conventional nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug sulindac sulfide arrests ovarian cancer cell growth via the expression of NAG-1/MIC-1/GDF-15 Mol Cancer Ther. Mar. 4(3):487-493.
- Kim JH, Yamaguchi K, Lee SH, Tithof PK, Sayler GS, Yoon JH, and Baek SJ. (2005) Evaluation of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the activation of early growth response-1 and peroxisome proliferator activated receptors. Toxicol Sci. May 85(1):585-593.
- Kim JS, Baek SJ, Bottone FG, Sali T and Eling TE. (2005) Over-expression of 15-lipoxygenase-1 induces growth arrest via phosphorylation of p53 in human colorectal cancer cells. Mol Cancer Res. Sep 3(9):511-7.
- Yoon JH, and Baek SJ (2005) Molecular Targets of Dietary Polyphenols with anti-inflammatory Properties. Yonsei Med J. Oct. 46(5):585-596.
- Chintharlapalli S, Papineni S, Baek SJ, liu S, and Safe S. (2005) 1,1-Bis(3’-indolyl)-1-(p-substitutedphenyl)methanes Activate peroxisome proliferators-activated receptor g in HCT-116 colon cancer cells but decreased cell survival through receptor-independent activation of NAG-1. Mol Pharmacol. Dec 68(6):1782-1792.
- Baek SJ, Kim J-S, Nixon JB, DiAugustine RP, and Eling TE. (2004) Expression of NAG-1, a TGF-β superfamily member, by troglitazone requires the early growth response gene Egr-1. J Biol Chem. Feb, 279(8):6883-6892.
- Yamaguchi K, Lee SH, Eling TE, and Baek SJ (2004) Identification of Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug-activated gene (NAG-1) as a Novel Downstream Target of Phosphatidylinositol 3-Kinase/AKT/GSK3β pathway. J Biol Chem. Nov 279(48): 49617-49623.
- Martinez JM, Baek SJ, Mays DM, Tithof PK, Eling TE, Walker NJ. (2004) EGR-1 Is a Novel Target for AhR Agonists in Human Lung Epithelial Cells. Toxicol Sci. Dec, 82(2):429-435.
- Jain AK, Moore SM, Yamaguchi K, Eling TE, and Baek SJ. (2004) Selective NSAIDs Induce Thymosin β-4 and Alter Actin Cytoskeletal Organization in Human Colorectal Cancer Cells. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. Dec. 311(3):885-891.
- Kim KS, Yoon JH, Kim JK, Baek SJ, Eling TE, Lee WJ, Ryu JH, Lee JG, Lee JH, Yoo JB (2004). Cyclooxygenase inhibitors induce apoptosis in oral cavity cancer cells by increased expression of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. Dec. 325(4):1298-1303.
- Fry MM, liggett JL, and Baek SJ. (2004) Molecular cloning and expression of canine hepcidin. Vet Clin Pathol. Dec. 33(4):223-227.
- Baek SJ, Kim JS, Jackson FR, Eling TE, McEntee MF, and Lee SH. (2004) Epicatechin gallate-induced expression of NAG-1 is associated with growth inhibition and apoptosis in colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis, Dec. 25(12):2425-2432.
- Newman D, Sakaue M, Koo JS, Kim KS, Baek SJ, Eling TE, and Jetten AM. (2003). Differential regulation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene in normal human tracheobronchial epithelial and lung carcinoma cells by retinoids. Mol Pharmacol. Mar, 63(3):557-64.
- Baek SJ, Wilson L, Hsi L, and Eling TE (2003). Troglitazone, a Peroxisome Proliferator-activated Receptor gamma (PPARgamma) ligand, Selectively Induces the Early Growth Response-1 Gene Independently of PPARgamma. A NOVEL MECHANISM FOR ITS ANTI-TUMORIGENIC ACTIVITY. J Biol Chem. Feb, 278(8):5845-5853.
- Nixon JB, Kamitani H, Baek SJ, and Eling TE (2003) Evaluation of eicosanoids and NSAIDs as PPARgamma ligands in colorectal carcinoma cells. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. May, 68(5):323-330.
- Wilson L, Baek SJ, and Eling TE (2003) Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene (NAG-1) is induced by genistein through the expression of p53 in colorectal cancer cells. Int J Cancer. Jul, 105(6):747-753
- Lee CH, Jang YS, Her SJ, Moon YM, Baek SJ, and Eling TE. (2003) Nordihydroguiaretic acid, the antioxidant, inhibits TGF-b activity through the inhibition of Smad signaling pathway. Exp.Cell Res. Oct, 289(2):335-341
- Kim KS, Shin JH, Baek SJ, Yoon JH. (2003) Expression of Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug-activated Gene-1 in Human Nasal Mucosa and Cultured Nasal Epithelial Cells: A Preliminary Investigation. Acta Oto-Laryngol, Oct 123(7):857-861
- Baek SJ, Wilson L, and Eling TE (2002). Resveratrol enhances the expression of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene (NAG-1) by increasing the expression of p53. Carcinogenesis, Mar, 23(3): 425-434.
- Bottone, FG, Baek SJ, Nixon, JB, and Eling, TE (2002). Diallyl Disulfide (DADS) Induces the Antitumorigenic NSAID-Activated Gene (NAG-1) by a p53-Dependent Mechanism in Human Colorectal HCT 116 Cells. J Nutr. Apr, 132(4):773-778.
- Kim, KS, Baek SJ, Flake, G, Loftin CD, Calvo BF, and Eling, TE (2002). Expression and regulation of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene (NAG-1) in human and mouse tissue. Gastroenterology. May, 122(5):1388-1398.
- Baek SJ, Wilson L, Lee, CH, and Eling TE. (2002) Dual Function of Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs): Inhibition of Cyclooxygenase and Induction of NSAID-Activated Gene. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. June, 301(3):1126-1131.
- Kameda H, Risinger JI, Han BB, Baek SJ, Barrett JC, Abe T, Takeuchi T, Glasgow WC, Eling TE. (2001) Expression of gab1 lacking the pleckstrin homology domain is associated with neoplastic progression. Mol Cell Biol. 21(20): 6895-6905.
- Baek SJ, Kim KS, Nixon J, Wilson L, and Eling TE. (2001) Cyclooxygenase inhibitors regulate the expression of a TGF-b superfamily member that has pro-apoptotic and anti-tumorigenic activities. Mol Pharmacol. 59(4): 901-908.
- Ikawa H, Kameda H, Kamitani H, Baek SJ, Nixon JB, Hsi LC, and Eling TE. (2001) Effects of PPAR activators on cytokine-stimulated cyclooxygenase-2 expression in human colorectal carcinoma cells. Exp Cell Res. 267(1): 73-80.
- Baek SJ, Horowitz JM, and Eling TE. (2001) Molecular cloning and characterization of human anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene promoter: Basal transcription is mediated by Sp1 and Sp3. J Biol Chem. 276(36): 33384-33392.
- Kameda H, Risinger JI, Han B-B, Baek SJ, Barrett C, Glasgow WC, and Eling TE. (2001) Identification of epidermal growth factor receptor-Grb2-associated binder-1-SHP-2 complex formation and its functional loss during neoplastic cell progression. Cell Growth Differ. 12(6): 307-318.
- Fritsche E, Baek SJ, King, LM, Zeldin DC, Eling TE, and Bell DA (2001) Functional characterization of COX-2 polymorphisms. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 299(2): 468-76.